March 10, 2012

My Personal Research Journey

     I recently began a new class in my Masters program entitled "Building Research Competencies."

     I must admit, when I saw this course on my academic calendar, I was nervous. As my colleagues and I discover how to develop a research simulation, I have chosen the topic "What are the long term social/emotional benefits for children that attended Head Start programs?"
     I would like to learn about the ways children are affected (both negatively and positively) by attending a Head Start program. I chose this topic because I don't hear much about Head Start programs in my area and after looking on-line, there are very few in the area. I also want to see what the findings show regarding success in school as the child grows, as it is very important that children have a strong, quality program in the early years. For me, it will be interesting to see what the studies in the past have shown to compare it with current programs.
     As I learned in last week's assignments, it will be important for me to find solid, reputable sources that can support my idea as well as current information. I have already been researching the reasons why Head Start began in the first place, which seems to date back to 1965 (About Head Start, 2011). I would love for anyone that works in a Head Start program to provide feedback or additional resources to me for this research simulation project. Thank you in advance!

Reference:

About Head Start. (2011). Retrieved March 10, 2012 from http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/hs/about
(A Division of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Clara, this is a excellent topic because I believe that children's emotional, physical and mental development begins in head start. I think that research should be conducted to see the what are the benefits of development the children will have by attending the program. I view this as a positive move for parents because it will enhance the chilren's capabilities and get them prepared for grade school. Good luch on your research.

    ReplyDelete